Rebuilding an Anderson Shelter

This web page offers advice to those thinking of disposing of, refurbishing or rebuilding an Anderson Shelter. Please do email Martin Stanley (68rtsw8@gmail.com) if you can add to or correct any of the advice or information on this page.

The Corrugated Iron

It is important to be aware that the corrugated iron that was used in the war, especially in Anderson Shelters, was significantly thicker (heavier gauge) than that which is manufactured today - around 2mm thick rather than the current 0.7mm.

If you want to buy or sell such corrugated iron then I recommend that you use eBay or Gumtree. If you want to give your corrugated iron to others, or would like to acquire corrugated iron for a family, school or community project, then please feel free to use this marketplace. There is no charge.

Official and Practical Advice

The official wartime Directions for the Erection and Sinking of the Galvanised Corrugated Steel Shelter are here. They are quite comprehensive and - I understand - quite easy to follow if you have a practical nature (which I do not!). Please do not ask me for further advice as everything I have learned is already on this page. But do please let me have advice which can be passed on to others.

As for painting, I have been recommended to use Hammerite Special Metals Primer - followed by Metal Paint. Ours is 'smooth white'. Although the paint is said to be direct to rust, this doesn't apply to galvanised surfaces which need to be primed first.

Please follow this link to read in some detail about the rebuilding of a shelter in Biggin Hill.

And Joe McGuigan has kindly shared this experience of rebuilding an Edinburgh shelter which was originally redeployed as a garden shed or coal bunkers next to a post-war 'prefab'. Click here for more information.

My father and I got it dismantled (eventually). The bolts were incredibly stiff so it took several hours to get them all undone! I have managed to save all of the washers. And all of the nuts and bolts except two - which were too badly corroded and had to be sawn off unfortunately. I am now in the process of cleaning them up.

The panels of the shelter vary in conditions. Some of them are not too bad, where others are heavily rusted and in some parts are rusted away at the bottom.

I have currently started grinding away the rust - I will then apply a rust inhibitor and then the undercoat and paint. With the holes, I was thinking the best way would be to fill them with a kind of car filler/cold weld putty supported by a fine mesh.

I am also planning on joining the corroded away bottom sections to new sections with a weld putty - whether this will hold or not I am unsure.

Here are some photos taken when Joe was dismantling the old shelter: